Your guinea pigs deserve to get a healthy treat once in a while. So here are some healthy things to give your guinea pigs.
- Romaine lettuce (never iceberg lettuce it can cause digestive problems and it doesn’t have any nutritional value)
- Carrots and carrot tops
- Broccoli spears
- Tomatoes (not the stems or leaves)
- Green and red bell peppers
They should have fruit less often since the high amount of sugar.
- Watermelon (Watermelon have a lot of sugar so feed it in moderation)
The following foods should NOT be feed to your guinea pig
- Any meat: Your little guy is a herbivore meaning they don’t have a diet based on meat only veggies and fruits.
- Dairy: including yogurt, cheese, kefir, sour cream, cream cheese, and cottage cheese. Again, the guinea pig diet is not meant for anything but plants. They simply don’t have the enzymes and other things they’d need to digest dairy products.
- Avocado: Lots of piggies do struggle with weight issues, and avocado is high in fat.
- Iceberg Lettuce: Lettuce is general is fine to feed you piggie but Iceberg lettuce can cause digestive problems.
- Onions, leeks, chives, or shallots can lead to blood disorders
- Any plastic toy can be nibbled and chewed on, resulting in your cavy swallowing the plastic bits. These can be sharp, are totally indigestible, and have no business inside your guinea pig